IMPORTANT NOTE: This video shows a surgical procedure where breast implants are placed for a patient who has granted permission to their surgeon to show them anonymously. While we protect the identities of our patients, please be advised that by its nature, this video contains a graphic depiction of a surgical procedure. Viewer discretion is advised.
If you’re searching for “plastic surgeons near me in Hampton Roads,” chances are you are considering a breast augmentation, a breast lift, or both. According to statistics gathered by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, breast augmentation was the most popular cosmetic surgery in 2017, with 300,378 performed that year. Most women are satisfied with their results, reporting more confidence, a boost in self-esteem, and increased happiness. In order to get great results it is important to set realistic expectations, including learning about surgery and recovery. Dr. Matthew Galumbeck, a board-certified plastic surgeon in Virginia Beach, Virginia, talks about what to expect during your breast augmentation or breast lift.
What Happens During a Breast Lift?
Are you worried your breast lift won’t resemble natural breasts? If your breasts are sagging or you’ve noticed a lack of fullness you should know a breast lift performed by an experienced plastic surgeon can provide natural looking results. Dr. Galumbeck says breast lifts are “good for women that have had kids or lost weight, and so they’ve lost not only fullness, but they’re droopy. This will return the breast to a more perky position and provide a fuller look.” A breast lift creates more fullness and projection by cutting out some of the skin and lifting the breast tissue. Here are the steps your surgeon will take during a breast lift:
- Sedation: You will be placed under anesthesia, typically IV sedation or general anesthesia. Dr. Galumbeck tells us for safety it is important to have an anesthesiologist monitor you during surgery.
- Removal of Excess Skin: Depending on your desired results you may need a small lift, moderate lift, or more extensive lift. Dr. Galumbeck explains, “there are many different types of incisions for a breast lift, a lollipop lift, so the scar will go around the areola and down the center of the breast. If the patient has more droop we’d probably have to do another incision in the inframammary crease, if she has less droop we’d probably go just around the areola.”
- Maintaining Nipple Sensation: A breast lift incision goes around the areola, and can even make the areola smaller. Some women worry this will affect their nipple sensation, or make it impossible to breastfeed. Dr. Galumbeck explains how that is not always true, “Even though the incision goes around the areola it is still attached to the tissue, so it maintains nipple sensation and subsequent ability to breastfeed.” However, if you plan to have children in the future you should talk with your surgeon about the best time for a breast lift.
- Lifting and Closing: With the excess skin gone your surgeon can pull the remaining skin tighter around the areola, lifting the breast into a new position. Closing the incision is precise and delicate, which is why it is so important to search “experienced plastic surgeon near me in Hampton Roads” and pick one who has experience with breast lifts. Always ask to see before and after pictures from your surgeon’s previous patients.
- Recovery: How long will your breast lift recovery take? Dr. Galumbeck explains, “recovery from this is usually a couple of days, back to work and social activities. They can take a shower but we don’t want them submerged like in a pool for a couple of weeks. Other than that there are no restrictions.” Remember to follow all instructions for the best results.
What is a Breast Enlargement?
A breast enlargement, or breast augmentation, enhances the size or shape of the breasts and can address asymmetry. During a breast enlargement your surgeon will make a small incision, insert a breast implant, then close the incision. Recovery is similar to a breast lift, and it is important to follow all of your surgeon’s instructions for the best results. You and your surgeon will talk over the following options to decide what works best for you.
- Incision Location: Your breast implants will be placed through one of the following incisions: inframammary incisions are placed in the crease under the breast; periareolar incisions are made around the areola where there is a natural color transition; transaxillary incisions are placed in the armpit so there is no scar on the breast; and transumbilical incisions are made right above the belly button, again resulting in no scarring on the breast.
- Implant Type: Make sure your surgeon offers unstructured saline, silicone gel, and structured breast implants. Getting the look of natural breasts after a breast enlargement is possible when you pick a breast implant that moves and feels like breast tissue.
- Size: Keep in mind that your individual body type, including existing breast tissue and chest size, will play a large role in what size breast implants you need. Try to have an open mind and not fixate on a specific implant size. Instead, think about your final result and your surgeon will help you determine the size that will help you reach that goal.
- Placement: Your breast implants can be placed above or below the pectoral muscle. Implants placed below the muscle are less likely to show visible wrinkles because of the muscle covering them. They are also less likely to encounter capsular contracture, a breast implant complication that causes hardening and contracting of the tissue around the implant. However, the implant may look distorted when the muscle is flexed. Placing breast implants above the muscle reduces the risk of distortion, and may negate the need for a breast lift. However, in women without much existing breast tissue wrinkles can be more visible when the breast implant is above the muscle.
How is a Breast Lift and Enlargement Combined?
To reach your aesthetic goals, your surgeon may recommend a combination breast lift and breast enlargement. These two procedures are ideal to combine because the surgeon can simply insert the breast implant into the incision made for the breast lift. If you’re searching for plastic surgeons near me in Hampton Roads make sure you pick one who has experience performing this combination surgery. Dr. Galumbeck specializes in breast augmentation and breast lift, and has performed hundreds of combination surgeries. He will work to provide you with the results you want.
What Breast Implant Options Do You Have?
As we mentioned above, you have options when it comes to breast implants. Your choice will not only determine your aesthetic results, it will impact the likelihood that you will need a revision surgery in the future.
- Unstructured Saline Breast Implants: These breast implants are composed of a solid silicone shell filled with saline. Saline is the same liquid found in IV bags and is safely absorbed by the body if the implant ruptures. Women love knowing their implants are intact by looking in the mirror, and that saline is safe if it comes into contact with their natural breast tissue.
- Silicone Gel Breast Implants: The silicone gel inside these implants is thick and sticky, providing movement similar to breast tissue. Silicone gel, however, is not natural, and if a rupture occurs it will need to be removed with the shell. The FDA recommends that women with silicone gel breast implants get an MRI every two years to check for a silent rupture because they can rupture without your knowing. Not only is this a financial burden, it can cause women anxiety to not know if their implant is intact or ruptured.
- IDEAL IMPLANT® Structured Breast Implant: The IDEAL IMPLANT is the newest breast implant on the market, FDA approved in 2014. It was developed to address concerns women have with unstructured saline and silicone gel breast implants, giving them a much needed third option. IDEAL IMPLANT Structured Breast Implants are filled with saline, but made with an internal structure that controls the flow inside the implant. The result is a natural look and feel, comparable to silicone gel, without the need for repeated MRIs. IDEAL IMPLANT also has one of the lowest rates of rupture and capsular contracture of any breast implant on the market. To learn about these complication rates compared to some of the top silicone gel breast implants visit https://idealimplant.com/compare/.
Dr. Matthew Galumbeck offers all types of breast implants to his patients because he knows how important it is to have choices. He will work to educate you on the benefits and compromises of each type so you can make the best choice for your body.
Will My Breast Augmentation Result in Natural Breasts?
It is natural to feel anxious about the result of your breast augmentation. You are most likely getting cosmetic surgery to feel more confident about the way you look. It is possible to get natural looking results with breast implants, but you must choose your implant wisely. Dr. Galumbeck will help you choose the right size for your body type, and offers options that look and move like natural breast tissue.
The IDEAL IMPLANT Structured Breast Implant was created specifically for women who want a natural looking result, but do not want the anxiety associated with silicone gel breast implants. The IDEAL IMPLANT Structured Breast Implant is created with two shells, and a series of baffled layers in between. This unique design reduces ripples and wrinkles, which look unnatural and are thought to cause rupture and deflation. There are two fill ports on the IDEAL IMPLANT, which are filled after placing the implant in the breast pocket. This allows surgeons to make a smaller incision than typical with a silicone gel breast implant. Additionally Dr. Galumbeck explains, “The nice thing about this implant is, because it’s saline we can adjust the outer shell to make sure there is no asymmetry in the final result.” With silicone gel breast implants there is no adjusting after placement.
If you are searching for a breast implant that will provide a natural look, feel, and movement, ask for the IDEAL IMPLANT Structured Breast Implant. In Virginia Beach, Dr. Galumbeck is one of the exclusive board-certified plastic surgeons to offer IDEAL IMPLANT, and was recently named an IDEAL IMPLANT Premier Surgeon because of the extensive experience he has using it.
How Can I Find Plastic Surgeons Near Me in Hampton Roads?
What should you look for in a plastic surgeon? Your surgeon does not only perform your surgery, he or she will be with you from your first appointment through all your follow-ups. You should feel comfortable and confident that your surgeon has the experience needed to get you a great result safely and efficiently. Dr. Galumbeck offers these additional tips for choosing the right surgeon and the right plastic surgery office, “I kind of think of it as a three legged stool, to get even in balance you should have a board-certified plastic surgeon to perform the procedure, have an anaesthesiologist so that the patient can be monitored safely, and if it’s not done at the hospital it should have an accredited facility, as we are, to perform the procedure, that way you get great results and safety.”
Learn More About IDEAL IMPLANT Premier Surgeon Dr. Matthew Galumbeck
Dr. Galumbeck has over 25 years of experience and has performed over 5,000 procedures. At his plastic surgery center, Galumbeck Plastic Surgery, you will find a clean and relaxing environment where you can explore your options for cosmetic surgery. He is always willing to answer your questions and address concerns so you feel comfortable at every step of your journey.
Dr. Galumbeck is dedicated to finding innovative techniques that will help his patients reach their goals. He was one of the first plastic surgeons in Hampton Roads to use an endoscope during surgery, resulting in a shorter procedure and smaller incision. He offers IDEAL IMPLANT Structured Breast Implants so his patients have an option that will give them the look of natural breasts with the safety and peace of mind of only saline inside.
Dr. Galumbeck’s patients often remark on his professionalism and skill. Read what a recent patient said about her experience, “Dr. Galumbeck is extremely professional, knowledgeable, and meticulous. Beautiful work! The entire nursing and administrative staff was also very kind and professional. Everyone ensured I was comfortable and that all of my questions were answered.” – Realself user killamilla.
Considering breast implants in Virginia Beach? Contact Dr. Matthew Galumbeck today to discuss your options. Simply call (757) 491-3204 or visit www.galumbeckplasticsurgery.com. Dr. Galumbeck’s office is located at 1817 Republic Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23454. Call today for more information on IDEAL IMPLANT ® Structured Breast Implants.